Five Ways to Build Newsworthy PR Pitches
A PR or media pitch is a brief written or verbal communication used to entice the media to feature brands positively in a story. It’s not rocket science, but it is an art. It can make all the difference in whether or not you get the media coverage you desire.
Need to come up with some fresh new angles for your PR pitches? Following are some questions that can help jump start different angles to help promote your business, service, and or product in a unique way.
- What is your company’s human interest story? Providing a human interest component to your business that focuses on the lives of people involved can be far more compelling than executives trying to tell the same story.
- Do you have any upcoming milestone? A milestone can be an important historical event specific to an organization, industry, or product and make great pitch fodder.
- Can your business, service, or product tie in nicely with seasonal, holiday, or global events? For example, perhaps you have a kitchen appliance that makes cooking dinner fast and easy. This can be a perfect pitch for Mother’s Day when many media outlets run “Best Mother’s Day Gift Ideas.”
- What current trends can you tie your company to? Search out trends that would be positive for your brand, trends that you can speak on as an expert, and trends that support your business objectives.
- Do you have a solution to a problem many people are experiencing right now? A great example of this type of pitch is how many people are becoming more frugal due to the current economy. Does your business, service, or product help people save money?
As you can see, there are a variety of ways to approach your PR pitch. Get creative. Be timely. Most of all, don’t be afraid to try new angles. They just might work!